Where all things get made round!

McCafferty 1995 edition

This section compiled from the memories of Izola McCafferty
Bill and Annie McCafferty, along with their eight month old son, Patrick, arrived in Canada in May of 1926, with a group of Irish and Scottish settlers. The journey from Montreal was by train and was as slow and arduous as their journey across the ocean. They settled on a half section of land fourteen miles north of Vermilion in what is now the St. Andrews district.
Times were hard, the winters were cold and long, but somehow they survived the tough times. On May 7, 1929 the second son, Peter James was born.
Farm produce was brought to town and sold or exchanged for groceries and household needs. Wood was cut out in the bush and loaded on sleighs, hauled to the yard where it was unloaded and was sawn up into stove lengths by hand with a buck saw. It was then split, reloaded and hauled the fourteen miles to town for sale. Pat remembers his Dad selling wood to a Mr. Croughto, a railroad engineer, who lived in Pilkieville. Fourteen miles is a long ride by team and sleigh. Often Bill would have to tie the lines to the sleigh box, and walk behind the sleigh to try and keep warm. Even then there were times that he arrived home with frost bite on his face, hands and feet. It was almost impossible to get groceries home in the winter without them being frozen stiff when you got them there.
The third son, Wm. Jr. Or Willie was born November 26, 1931. The depression years were hard and long. Produce was hard to sell as no one had money to buy, so it was often exchanged of r other needed goods.
The first and only girl, Mary, was born March 20, 1936, followed by two more boys, Henry on June 18, 1938 and Dan on March 13, 1941.
St. Andrews area was mostly all Irish and Scotts. They were all Catholics but had no church so each family would donate a calf or a pig, and when they went to market, the proceeds went towards the church fund. With the labour also donated, they were able to build a log church one half mile south of the corner near the John MacMillian residence. The church, after years of use as both a church and a community hall, was turned into a hall and a new church was built right on the corner.
The new church was right beside the McCaffertys’ home so Mill was elected to do the janitorial work. He made many a trip up and down to see that the fires were lit and stoked over night so it would be warm enough for Sunday morning mass.
The area also had their own funeral parlor you might say, as Angus Wilson and Pat McCafferty built coffins I the church basement so they would be available when required. Everyone turned out for the grave digging duty as in the winter time it was a big job by hand with a pick and shovel. One time the grave was all dug and ready - just before mass they went to put the rough box down. Oh no! The grave had been dug six inches to short for the rough box and the coffin to fit, so they had to work all through mass to make it longer. I’m sure the priest said mass a little slower to give them time to finish the task.
Every summer for years Mr. McCaffertys' cow pasture turned into a picnic grounds for one day of the year. People came from miles around to take in the ball games and sporting events held there.
The St. Andrews church ladies and men worked together on these events and also put on highland games in Vermilion that were very popular.
The children all went to school at Queenie Creek. They usually walked the three miles to and from school every day. When Pat finished school, he went to work for W. J. Casteron, who was a well known auctioneer. Pat did the farming on 10 quarters of land, all with horses at first and later with tractors. When Peter got older he took over the farm and Bill went to work on maintenance at the Wainwright army camp. There was a new house put on the place for Bill and Annie and they spent several retired years there. Then due to health problems, they moved to Lloydminster to be near their daughter, Mary.
After Bill passed away Annie moved into a nursing home and was then transferred to the Dr. Cook Nursing Home where she spent her last years.
The family are still mostly local, Pat and his wife, Izola, raised their family in Vermilion and are now retired there. Pete married Jennie Underdown and went into barbering. After spending several years in Banff, they moved to Victoria, where Pete has an eight chair barber shop. His son Larry has also taken up barbering and is taking over the business.
Willie (or Bill) spent several years in Ontario, then due to health problems he moved back to Lloydminster, where he has been employed as head sawyer at Nelson Lumber for the last 27 years. Bill is married and has one daughter.
Dan, after working for several years at the local Vermilion Hotel and playing guitar for his friends, also moved to Lloydminster. He has been employed by Nelson Lumber as shop foreman on construction for over 26 years. Dan is married and has two boys and a girl.
Henry also is employed by Nelson Lumber in the summer time.
Mary married Charlie Chalman and they raised their family of six boys and two girls. Finally they built and live on an acreage north of Lloydminster.
Pat McCafferty was raised in the St. Andrews area, so he worked around Vermilion all his life.
Izola was the youngest of six children of Ballard and Lena Goad, from Minnesota, USA, who had homesteaded in the Landonville district in 1909 and had raised their family there.
Izola and Pat met in 1946 while Izola was attending high school in Clandonald, and were married on October 18, 1948 at the St. Columbia Catholic Church in Clandonald.
They moved to Leduc, where Pat was employed in the oilfields. A couple of years later they moved back to Vermilion and have lived here ever since, except for four years spent on a farm in the Landonville district.
Pat worked a couple of years for Bill Wilson from Calgary, who was in Vermilion building new homes. From 1953-1957, he worked as head dairyman at the Vermilion School of Agriculture. At that time they milked over 35 cows. The dairyman was not only responsible for the milking and care of the cows, but also had to pasteurize and bottle the milk for delivery to the homes on campus and to the college kitchen. For those four years we lived on campus and Eugene, Therese and Mark were born while we were there. After four years of milking cows, Pat decided that was enough cows and he quit and went driving truck he drove for Honeyboy Bread for two years, then for Aldous Kent and Coca Cola for a few years. Izola also worked at the plant on occasion. Pat and Charlie Cawthorp worked together on the coke truck.
We spent about four years on a farm in the Landonville area. In 1965 we moved back to Vermilion, and Pat started driving for J and O Transport, Norman Jones and Don Olson. After they went out of business he drove truck for Mills Transport and then Vermilion Transport. Pat spent several years in Edmonton, loading freight for Vermilion Transport, then he went just driving and hauling grain, fertilizer or oil.
In 1979 he quit Vermilion Transport and went to work for Delaney Transit Mix. He has hauled concrete to abut every construction site around from Paradise Valley, Lloyd, Marwayne, Heinsburg and south to the Wainwright area. He liked this the best and even though he is retired, he still goes back to help when they have a long haul and are short of drivers.
Pat and Izola have six children, three boys and three girls. The oldest boy, Dwaine Douglas or Doug, has settled in Ft. McMurray. He spent several years driving Trans Canada for a moving company. He now drives an oil truck. He married and had two children and is now divorced. His children are Michael and Kelly Diane.
Second son, Eugene, worked around town while going to high school. After graduation he went to Lakeland College for a two year course, then spent two or three years working at the college. He quit and moved west of St. Paul, where he and his wife have built a log home and studio for her to paint. Eugene’s wife, Gesial, is an art instructor for the University of Alberta. Eugene, is a residential supervisor of Genue Home for the Handicapped, St. Paul.
Theresa, or Terri, was a life guard and swimming instructor at our outdoor pool during high school. She spent a couple of years life guarding in Ontario. She returned and spent two years at Sundre, Alta., then went to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and took Medical Transcription. She went to work at the Cross Cancer Institute in Calgary. She worked her way up to Private Secretary to the Administrator. There she worked for several years, until her first baby was born. She left work then to raise her family. They now have a boy, Cody and a girl, Kasaundra. Her husband has his own business in pipe line. They live in Calgary.
Mark also worked at the pool as life guard and swimming instructor for two or three years. After high school he moved to Edmonton and trained for Journeyman Electrician. When he finished he went into the welding trade and trained as a welder. Mark was injured in a bad fall at Fort McMurray and due to his injuries was forced to leave his trades. He went to the University of Alberta and took business management. He is now sales manager for Noremco, a wire and cable company in Edmonton. Mark is married to Susan Boggs of Vermilion, and they have three children, a girl and two boys, Shannon, Ryan and Scott.
Sharon, after graduation, moved to Calgary, and went into drafting for Alberta Government Telephones (AGT) and later for Nova. Sharon married Alex Harris, a heavy duty mechanic. They live in Sparwood, BC. For eight years where Alex was employed at the mines. When they closed, they moved back to Calgary to work. They have a girl and a boy, named Ashley and Dylan.
Colleen worked at the Ponderosa and Ventura during high school. After graduation she moved to Calgary and worked at the Cancer Clinic. With night school classes, she was able to work her way up to secretary for one of the doctors. Then she married and moved to Sparwood, where her husband worked in the mines. They also moved back to Calgary for work. Colleen is now divorced, she works as comptroller for a construction and management company. She has two girls, Jennifer and Jamie Lee Reinhart.
Izola spent her years raising her family as a waitress. In 1977 she went to Lakeland College and took Secretarial Arts. She has been employed by the government in Career Development for ten years. Due to health problems Izola had to leave work in 1988. Izola and Pat are both retired, they love their garden and flower beds. They spend as much time as possible at their trailer at the lake or going fishing.